*NEW* Section 8 FAQs & Information

Section 8 also referred to as Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) is a federally funded housing assistance program which offers rental assistance (subsidy) for Elderly, Disabled and Single Families who qualify under the very low-income guidelines. The Housing Authority administers this program under the regulations and guidelines of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

The below Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are provided here and regularly updated. This will hopefully help you get your questions answered before having to contact Bremerton Housing Authority or your caseworker.

Waitlist and IntakeVoucher Orientation/BriefingMoving and PortabilityAffordability and Rent CalculationYour Housing SearchHQS Inspections and RFTAsLandlord/Owner FAQsParticipant ExpectationsAnnual and Interim (COC) RecertificationsReasonable AccommodationsInformal and Formal Hearings (Grievances)Walk-Ins, Appointments, Lobby InformationAdministrative PlanSpecial ProgramsIncome Limits, Payment Standards, Utility Allowances

Waitlist and Intake

What is the waitlist?
Most BHA Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher programs operate off a waitlist. To receive a voucher to help pay your rent, you must apply when the waitlist is open, and then wait until your name nears the top of the list. To prepare for the next waitlist opening, be sure to register for an account on RENTCafé.

How can I sign up for the waitlist?
Most of our programs operate off of a waitlist. Unfortunately, these waitlist(s) are not always open for applications. To stay apprised of when one will open, be sure to register for an account on RENTCafé.

Is the waitlist open right now?
Unfortunately, no, our Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waitlist is not currently open as of June 2023. To stay apprised of when it opens, be sure to register for an account on RENTCafé.

Where am I on the waitlist (when will I get my voucher)?
BHA can only confirm whether or not you are on our waitlist, but we cannot give out numbers.

If you applied to a waitlist during an opening through RENTCafé, you can sign in to your account to view your application and keep your contact information and household information up-to-date.

It is also important to remember that getting on the waitlist does not automatically guarantee that you will receive a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher. Because waitlists are for long-term rental assistance, there is no way to tell how long you may end up waiting. Please continue to seek out services for your immediate needs if you need help right away. Contact Kitsap Community Resources (KCR) at (360) 377-0053 or visit KCR.org to inquire about possible short-term assistance.

How long is the waitlist?
Each waitlist is different, but much of the time, households could end up waiting between 2-4 years for their name to be pulled for the initial contact from BHA to verify eligibility for the program.

What is RENTCafé?
RENTCafé is an online portal where applicants create an account in order to get notified when a waitlist opens, and/or, once you’re actively signed up for a waitlist, to keep your information current to keep your spot on the list.

Click the link to register for an account on RENTCafé.

Why was I asked for paystubs, bank statements, and/or other things like Social Security cards?
To qualify your household for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance after you’ve reached the top of the waitlist, we are required to ensure that your household is eligible for the program. We are required to ensure that each household member over 18 is eligible for assistance, and that your household also meets a certain income threshold.

Without this necessary documentation and verification(s), we cannot determine eligibility. If we cannot determine eligibility for the program, we cannot move along in the process of ultimately issuing a voucher.

Why was I asked to provide fingerprints?
BHA is required to run a Criminal Background Check (CBC) on every person in the household who is 18 or older. Sometimes the CBC comes back with information that states a person will need an FBI background check. BHA will not know why, as this information is not shared with us.

For detailed instructions, please refer to the information provided by BHA when your fingerprints were requested.


Determining if you qualify for subsidized housing through one of BHA’s housing programs is fairly simple. The biggest factor involves household income, but we also consider whether you qualify as a family, a senior or a person with a qualifying disability. At least one family member must be a citizen, national, or noncitizen with eligible immigration status in order for the family to qualify for any level of assistance. The chart below lists the income levels based on household size.

HUD gives a priority to families in the extremely low category requiring BHA to offer 75% of new vouchers being issued to the lowest income families. Income eligibility is determined at the time the voucher is offered, not at the time a family is placed on the waitlist.

During the formal application stage,​ applicants will be required to present documents that verify​income, employment, household composition, and will also be required to submit to a criminal background screening. Participants must be 18 or an emancipated adult to be eligible for assistance.

Eligible families will receive a voucher to begin searching for housing. Generally, families will pay no less than 30% and no more than 40% of their adjusted monthly income toward their rent and utility share. BHA pays the remaining amount to the property owner on the family’s behalf.

Voucher Orientation/Briefing

What will I learn about at orientation/briefing?
The purpose of orientation is to educate you about your voucher, how it works, how to find an affordable rental, and what your obligations are as a participant under the Section 8 program. Topics you will learn about include but are not limited to: reporting requirements, program policies, how and where you can search for a rental, Housing Quality Standard Inspections, tenants’ rights and protection and information on how to request an informal hearing.

Why do I have to take an orientation training to be issued a voucher? Is it required?
Yes, attending orientation is a requirement before you are issued your voucher; you must be aware of your obligations as a participant in the program, as well as how the program works, before you can start your search.


Moving & Portability

I want to move, what is my voucher/shopping amount?
Please keep in mind that we are experiencing longer than normal wait times for scheduling moving appointments

For an estimated voucher/shopping amount, you will need to contact your Housing Specialist – just know that they cannot provide you with an exact number. The number they’ll give you is based off of the most current information we have about your household.

I currently have a voucher and want to move. What’s the moving process?
The moving process has many steps to it:

  • You’ll need to make an appointment with your Housing Specialist to move, and bring a copy of your vacate notice signed by your landlord.
  • At this appointment, you will be given your Affordability Estimate Worksheet, and an RFTA packet. The RFTA packet needs 2 fields for you to complete and the landlord completes the rest.
  • From this point, you are searching for a new unit, and once you’re approved somewhere, you and your landlord will complete the RFTA packet.
  • Once BHA receives the RFTA completed in full, we will process it within 5-10 business days and run an affordability test. If the unit passes that test, one of our Housing Inspectors will contact the landlord to schedule an initial inspection.
  • The Inspector and the landlord will coordinate to get the unit passed.
  • Once that happens, BHA will work on the paperwork between us and the landlord, and you will be able to sign the lease once we give you the OK to do so.


  • You may not move during your initial 12-month lease term.
  • You must be eligible to move.
  • We are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times for scheduling moving appointments.

I’d like to use my Section 8 voucher in a different area/jurisdiction/county than Kitsap or Mason county. How do I find out if I’m eligible to do that?
This process is referred to as “porting”. Whether or not you’re eligible depends on whether you’re an applicant who was just issued your voucher for the first time or if you’re a current participant. If you’re an applicant, you have to have had a Kitsap or Mason county address when you applied for the waitlist to be able to port right away. Otherwise, you will have to live in Kitsap or Mason for a year first. If you are a current participant, you have to be in “good standing”.

I have a Section 8 voucher at another housing authority. Can I port to BHA?
You will need to contact your current housing authority to find that out.

Is BHA absorbing right now?
BHA is currently porting on a case-by-case basis as of April 2024.

Do you help pay for moving expenses?
No, unfortunately not. There are a few rare exceptions that we will you inform you of if you’re eligible.

Affordability and Rent Calculation

How can I find out if my unit is affordable?
Click here for an Affordability walk-thru worksheet to calculate. This is the quickest way for you to determine affordability without having to wait for a BHA staff member to call/email you back.

What will my rent portion be and how is my rent calculated?
There are actually multiple factors that go into this calculation, and so it is difficult to tell you an exact number without knowing things like annual income, the rent amount, and all utilities you will be responsible for paying. Rent portion is somewhere between 30-40% of your income. Rent is calculated by comparing gross rent to the payment standard, taking the lesser amount, and subtracting 30% of your monthly adjusted income, which will equal the HAP (BHA’s portion). After that, you subtract the HAP amount from the contract rent amount to get your portion.

What is a “shopping amount”?
This figure can be found on your Affordability Worksheet you received at orientation. You may also hear it referred to as your Line 9 amount. Likewise, you will also receive HUD Utility Allowance Schedule breakdowns that will show you how utilities are calculated into determining affordability.

I found a rental that is perfect for me but was told it’s not “affordable”, even though the rent is under my shopping amount. What does that mean?
It probably means that even though the rent is equal to or less than your shopping amount, you still need to factor in the cost of tenant-paid utilities.

Can my shopping amount change?
Yes, depending if your household experiences a change. You’re required to always report a change with a Change of Circumstance form within 10 days of the change.

What’s the difference between payment standards and shopping amounts?
Payment standards are the maximum subsidy amount that BHA can pay for your rent + utilities if your household had zero income. Payment standard amounts are based off FMRs (Fair Market Rents) which are established by HUD. The maximum shopping amount is 10% of your monthly adjusted income added to the payment standard. This is also known as your shopping amount/Line 9 on your Affordability Worksheet.

Can I pay the difference if the rental is over my shopping amount? Can I go over my “shopping amount”/Line 9?
No, it is against program rules to do either.

Does my Section 8 voucher pay for my utilities?
No, it does not.

Your Housing Search

How much time do I have to search for a rental once I’m issued my voucher?
120 days, initially. An additional 90-day extension may be granted if you request so in writing – this must be done BEFORE the voucher’s expiration date. Any additional time after this will require a Reasonable Accommodation, which is a medically-related need to be granted extra time.

Can Bremerton Housing Authority fill out rental applications for me or drive me to view rentals?
No, unfortunately not – we don’t have the staff capacity to do this for every participant who is searching at any given time.

Can Bremerton Housing Authority negotiate or advocate for me with landlords?
Unfortunately, no – but we can provide some guidance on how to do these things yourself.

Why do I have to be approved to rent a unit if I’ve already gotten my Section 8 voucher?
Getting approved for a Section 8 voucher is a guarantee of rental assistance. However, this rental assistance is for you to find your own rental in the private market.

Can I get a different bedroom size on my voucher?
You can rent a higher bedroom size than what’s on your voucher, but it will still need to be under the payment standard of the original size you were issued. Example: if you have a 2 bedroom voucher, you may rent a 3 bedroom that is under the 2 bedroom payment standard.

I tried to apply to a rental but was told they don’t accept Section 8. What do I do?
Please forward this article to them:
Tenants new legal protection from discrimination based on source of income.
It explains the law (RCW 59.18.255) in Washington state, passed in 2018, that prohibits landlords from denying or refusing to accept applications from individuals on public assistance.

Note: this law ONLY applies to income screening requirements. Landlords & owners are still legally allowed to enforce other types of screening criteria they have for everyone else (like credit or rental history).

I don’t make 2.5 to 3x the rent required by some landlords. What do I do?
Please forward this article to them:
Tenants new legal protection from discrimination based on source of income.
It explains the law (RCW 59.18.255) in Washington state, passed in 2018, that requires landlords only can hold that requirement to 2.5-3x what your rent portion would be, not the entire contract rent amount.

Where can I direct a landlord who is unfamiliar with the Section 8 program to?
Please have them visit our Landlord FAQs to learn more.

I was approved for a rental! What are my next steps?
Congratulations! The next steps are to complete your RFTA packet with your landlord and submit it to us ASAP. This packet was issued to you at orientation or your move appointment. You will have two places to fill out, and your landlord will have the rest.

HQS Inspections and RFTAs

How long does it take to schedule an initial inspection?
After the fully completed RFTA is submitted to BHA, one of our Housing Inspectors will determine rent reasonableness on the unit. Once it’s been determined to be rent reasonable, we will contact the landlord to schedule an inspection. This can be anywhere from 5-15 business days, depending on the volume of requests at the time.

Note: for much more detailed information on the entire RFTA process, please visit our Landlord FAQs.

What does the inspector look for during an inspection? Is there a list of the most common fail items?
That the unit meets HUD’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS); please refer to our HQS Pre-Inspection Checklist for more details.

Do all utilities have to be turned on during an initial inspection?
Yes, all utilities for the unit must be turned on for the inspection.

Does someone have to be present for my annual inspection?
For tenants in non-public housing units, the head of household or someone you appoint to be there who is 18 or older will need to be present. Landlords do not need to present, but are welcome to be there if they wish.

Are HQS (Housing Quality Standards) mandatory?
Yes, they are a HUD requirement.

Now that my unit passed inspection, is it okay to have my tenant sign their lease?
It depends on a variety of factors. Please confirm with BHA that it is okay before you sign the lease with the tenant.

How do you determine how much rent I can get for my unit?
It depends on a variety of factors. BHA uses a third-party service to determine if the asking rent is reasonable, and compares it to units with similar amenities. Landlords should request what they would like to charge for the unit.

What happens if my initial inspection fails?
The landlord will be notified of what repairs will need to be made, and then can respond to BHA accordingly.

Participant Expectations

What are Family Obligations, and what do they have to do with me?
HUD Family Obligations are rules that voucher holders are expected to follow in order to remain in good standing. Click here to view HUD’s complete list of family obligations. Below is a general overview, however, this is not the complete list. The most important thing to remember is that violations of any of the obligations could result in a termination of your subsidy.

The family:

  • Must supply information that BHA or HUD deems necessary to administer their rental assistance.
  • Is responsible for HQS inspection fail items that they caused.
  • Must allow BHA to inspect at reasonable times and notice.
  • Must not violate their lease.
  • Must not be evicted from their unit.
  • Must use the unit as their primary residence.
  • Must request BHA’s approval to change their household composition.
  • Must not commit fraud.
  • Must not engage in drug-related, criminal, or violent criminal activity.

Why am I being put in a repayment agreement?
Repayment agreements must be made when a participant failed to report a change in their household that resulted in BHA paying their landlord more than we should have.

The family will be responsible for paying the difference back to BHA in order to not lose their voucher.

Annual and Interim (COC) Recertifications


What is an annual recertification?
This is the process of recertifying your eligibility for the Section 8 voucher program. This ensures you still qualify for the program.

BHA must conduct a recertification of your household at least annually. The purpose of this process is to make sure your information is up to date, so your rent is calculated correctly. Recertification includes gathering and verifying current information about your household, income, and expenses.

Remember, the recertification process is mandatory due to HUD regulations. If we don’t receive the information we request in a timely manner, this could impact your rental assistance.

I already went through the recertification process and provided you with my income, asset and household information. Why are you asking for it again?
This is called an annual recertification process because it must be conducted at least annually/once a year.

Your household information must be verified each year, and as a result of that, we will need current asset, income and household information to correctly calculate your rent portion. Even if you’ve already provided us with this information in the past, it is outdated by the time your next recertification rolls around.

Do I have to do my annual recertification and provide verifications even if nothing has changed since last year?

I’ve already provided my information to a different agency (like Social Security or DSHS) – why do I have to provide it to you as well?
BHA can’t request information from other government agencies like DSHS or Social Security. Also, the information we require may be different from another agency.

I just completed an interim recertification (COC); do I still have to do my annual recertification?
Yes, you are required to have your household’s entire income and composition examined at least once annually.

What types of income do I have to report to you?

  • Wages
  • Tips
  • Commissions
  • Bonuses
  • Self-employment
  • Unemployment
  • Regular contributions from family or friends
  • Social Security Income
  • Public assistance
  • Alimony
  • Child support
  • Pension
  • Disability income
  • Educational grants and scholarships

What types of assets do I have to report to you?

  • Checking and or savings accounts
  • Money market accounts
  • CD’s
  • IRA/401K
  • Real estate you own
  • Whole life insurance policies
  • Assets sold or given away

Are there deductions I can claim?
Yes, you can claim:

  • Childcare expenses for children under the age 13
  • Disability assistance expenses
  • Medical expenses that were paid out of pocket (elderly/disabled households ONLY)



What do I need to report?

  • Income changes (both decreases and increases)
  • Household composition changes (added or removed a household member)
  • Deduction changes (medical or childcare)

How do I report my changes?
Visit our Forms Page and complete a Change of Circumstance form.

How do I request to add someone to my household?
Visit our Forms Page and complete a Change of Circumstance – Request to Add Member form.

Do I need to report temporary income?
Yes, all income must be reported within 10 business of the change.

Do I need to report self-employment income?
Yes, all income must be reported within 10 business of the change.

What if I get cash or have my bills paid from someone outside of my household?
You must report these. They are considered contributions.

Reasonable Accommodation

Through HUD Section 504, OHA ensures that a “qualified” person with a handicap:

  • Is afforded an opportunity equal to that afforded to others
  • Is provided housing and benefits as effective as those afforded to others
  • Is not provided different or separate housing or benefits unless necessary to provide the person with a handicap with housing and benefits that are as effective as those provided to others

What is a Reasonable Accommodation?
A reasonable accommodation is a change, exception or adjustment to a rule, policy practice or service that may be necessary for the person with a disability to have an equal opportunity to the Housing Authority’s programs and services.

What is the definition of a Person with a Disability?
A person with a disability is any person who:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of an individual; or
  • Has a record of having such impairment; or
  • Is regarded as having such impairment

What is BHA’s Staff Role and Responsibility?
BHA’s employees are responsible for ensuring that the agency does not discriminate against a person with a disability by refusing to make a reasonable accommodation that may be necessary to allow that person equal access under any of the programs administered by BHA.

Requesting Reasonable Accommodation
A reasonable accommodation request(s) may be made by or on behalf of a person with a disability to any BHA staff. If a participant or applicant indicates that an exception, change, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice or service is needed because of a disability, the BHA must treat that information as a request for a reasonable accommodation even if no formal written request is made.

A Reasonable Accommodation Request form can be downloaded or completed online here.

For more information, please contact:

Ebony Searles, Quality Assurance Programs Support Manager
600 Park Ave
Bremerton, WA 98337
(360) 616-7127

Informal and Formal Hearings (Grievances)

BHA’s grievance process applies to participants of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. It ensures the review of complaints or disputes involving BHA that may have adversely participants on the program. We do not use the process to settle disputes between tenants and landlords.

You may use the grievance process to review actions such as:

  • A request for reasonable accommodation.
  • The denial of a request to move
  • Termination from the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Informal Hearings
You may request an informal hearing if you do not agree with the Housing Departments decision. BHA must receive this request no later than 5 business days after you receive notice of the outcome of the informal hearing.

Once you request an informal hearing, BHA will work with you and the officer to schedule your hearing. Most hearings take place 7 to 10 days from the date of the request.

Requesting a Hearing
You may submit your grievance request in person, in writing or verbally. In most cases you must submit your grievance within 14 business days of dated termination letter.

Visit our Forms Page to either fill out and submit a form online or download and print.

Final Decision
The Hearing officer will notify you in writing of the decision within 10 business days of your hearing.

Walk-Ins, Appointments, Lobby Information


Also, effective October 1, 2023, BHA moved to an appointment-only policy for participants who wish to speak to their Housing Specialist in person.

Why is BHA requiring me to schedule an appointment to see my Housing Specialist?
BHA is committed to providing excellent customer service. We have examined every aspect of our process and are making improvements where needed. Many Housing Authorities require appointments if a participant wishes to speak to a Housing Specialist in person. This model will allow your Housing Specialist to be better prepared and focused on your situation when they speak with you.

BHA wants to ensure that you get the dedicated time you deserve. We serve hundreds of households and have found that this change will allow us to serve everyone more effectively and in a timely manner.

I’ve always been able to drop by during business hours to talk to my Housing Specialist. Why is this changing?
BHA wants to ensure that you get the dedicated time you deserve. We serve hundreds of households and have found that this change will allow us to serve everyone more effectively and in a timely manner.

How do I schedule an appointment?
Please contact your Housing Specialist directly by phone or email to request an appointment.

Is there an option to meet with my Housing Specialist virtually?
Yes, please contact your Housing Specialist to set up a virtual meeting. You will need a desktop computer, laptop, tablet or mobile phone with an internet connection or data to be able to select this option.

Do I need to set up an appointment every time I have a question for my Housing Specialist?
You are encouraged to call or email your Housing Specialist to ask questions. Not every question will require an in-person meeting.

If you wish to talk to someone in person and need assistance with your paperwork, please schedule an appointment.

Can I drop off paperwork without scheduling an appointment?
Yes, participants can drop off paperwork in the drop box by the front door at our main office. This is checked frequently throughout the day.

Does this impact my housing in any way?
No, there is no impact on your housing; the only change you will experience is that appointments must be scheduled to meet with your Housing Specialist in person.

What if I have a general question (moving, what paperwork BHA is asking for, etc.?)
BHA encourages you to contact your Housing Specialist by phone or email first to ask general questions. If you still want to ask someone in person, you will need to make an appointment.

Special Programs

BHA partners with other agencies offering rental assistance to individuals and or families experiencing homelessness. The VA, Kitsap Community Resources, and Mason County Behavioral Health Services provide case management services to help families rebuild their lives and create a stable living environment. BHA receives referrals directly from the agencies and can provide rental assistance up to 24 months.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) Vouchers
The VASH program is a joint program between the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The goal of the VASH program is to move homeless veterans into supported housing. The primary component of the program is VA Case Management services. It provides linkage to medical care, mental health, and substance abuse services. Case management also provides other services needed to enhance a veteran’s ability to remain stable, housed, and integrated into the community.

The Bremerton Housing Authority been selected by HUD to work in partnership with American Lake VA to provide housing assistance in the form of a VASH Housing Choice Voucher (VASH HCV). These VASH Vouchers make it possible for veterans to afford privately owned rental housing in the community of the veteran’s choice provided it is located within a reasonable distance from BHA.

Referrals for VASH vouchers come from the VA at American Lake to BHA.

Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)
HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) permits Participating Jurisdictions (PJs) to create flexible programs that provide assistance to individual households to help them afford the housing costs of market-rate units. These programs are known as “tenant-based rental assistance,” or TBRA. HOME TBRA programs differ from other types of HOME rental housing activities in three key ways:

TBRA programs help individual households, rather than subsidizing particular rental projects.

TBRA assistance moves with the tenant—if the household no longer wishes to rent a particular unit, the household may take its TBRA and move to another rental property.

The level of TBRA subsidy varies—the level of subsidy is based upon the income of the household, the particular unit the household selects, and the PJ’s rent standard (rather than being tied to the PJ’s high and low HOME rents).

There are many different types of TBRA programs, but the most common type provides payments to make up the difference between the amount a household can afford to pay for housing and the local rent standards. Other TBRA programs help tenant pay for costs associated with their housing, such as security and utility deposits.

Supportive Housing Program (SHP)
BHA, as recipient of Supportive Housing Program (SHP) Grant from the United State Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in partnership with Kitsap County Recourses (KCR) offers rental assistance to families who are experiencing homelessness or are at risk of being homeless. Each year 25 families are supported by these funds and are given the opportunity to access case management services designed to promote self-sufficiency.

KCR provides a full range of supportive services to homeless families. Each family is given a personal assessment and a program plan addressing the barriers keeping the family from a stable living environment. The continuum of housing is linked to appropriate social services designed to promote self-sufficiency by gradually increasing levels of responsibility and independence based on personal progress in meeting self-sufficiency goals.

BHA will provide Tenant Based Rental Assistance to families who are referred to BHA by KCR and certified to be homeless (verification of homelessness must meet the HUD final rule governing the CoCC program rule: Literally homeless; Imminent risk of homelessness; Homeless under the Federal Statutes; Fleeing/attempting to flee a DV situation).

Project Based Vouchers (PBV)
The Project Based Voucher (PBV) program attaches the rental assistance voucher to private (including BHA-owned) housing units. Under the PBV program, BHA enters into a Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract with the property owner for specified units and for a specified term.

PBV units are leased to eligible low-income tenants from BHA’S PBV Waiting List or in some cases referred by the property owner.

PBV rental assistance is contractually tied to the unit, as opposed to the tenant. If after one year a family who moves from the project-based unit may be eligible to receive HCV (tenant-based) assistance, if they are in good standings with BHA and if a HCV is available.

Must meet Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program eligibility requirements.

Property owners interested in BHA’s PBV program may submit a proposal for the program only in response to an officially advertised Request For Proposals.

For More Information:
For general information from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) about the Project Based Voucher program.

Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV)
The EHV (Emergency Housing Voucher) program was created as part of the American Rescue Plan Act. Through EHV, HUD is providing 70,000 vouchers nationwide to help families and individuals who are homeless, at-risk of homelessness, fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence or dating violence, victims of sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking, or lastly were recently homeless or have a high risk of housing instability.

To be eligible to receive an EHV, the family or individual must be referred through participating CoC (Continuum of Care) partnering agency.

Income Limits, Payment Standards, Utility Allowances

BHA payment standards are based on the current fair market rents (FMR’s) published by HUD. Payment standards must be set between 90-110% of the published FMR. BHA reviews the payments standards yearly to ensure we are meeting the needs of the families receiving subsidies as well as bringing new families on the program. Payment standards are normally adjusted October 1st of any given year.

HCV Payment Standards Effective January 2024 for Annuals & Lease Ups
Please note that there are some separate special programs with different amounts

Kitsap County Payment Standards by Unit/bedrooms
0 bdrm1 bdrm2 bdrm3 bdrm4 bdrm5 bdrm6 bdrm
Mason County Payment Standards by Unit/bedrooms
0 bdrm1 bdrm2 bdrm3 bdrm4 bdrm5 bdrm6 bdrm

FY 2024 Income Limits (Effective April 1, 2024)

Bremerton-Silverdale Income Limits by number of persons in household (Click here for full HUD summary)
Very Low (50%)1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person
Extremely Low1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person
Mason County Income Limits by number of persons in household (Click here for full HUD summary)
Very Low (50%)1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person
Extremely Low1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person

FY 2023 Income Limits (Effective May 15, 2023)

Bremerton-Silverdale Income Limits by number of persons in household (Click here for full HUD summary)
Very Low (50%)1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person
Extremely Low1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person
Mason County Income Limits by number of persons in household (Click here for full HUD summary)
Very Low (50%)1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person
Extremely Low1 person2 person3 person4 person5 person6 person

Utility Allowances

Utility Allowances: 2023
Kitsap County Utility Allowances (Effective 10/1/2023)
Mason County Utility Allowances (Effective 10/1/2023)